Workplace Injuries and What To Do About Them

Good news from the HSE! The rates of both self-reported and employer-reported non-fatal injuries in the workplace are reducing, according to their report for 2018-19. Coming from an organisation that helps us to be very cautious about everything, maybe at last their messages are paying off.

During 2018-19, 147 workers suffered a fatal injury, with the most common cause noted as falling from a height. Two industries that experienced a high number of fatal injuries were manufacturing and construction.

In the same period, the report also says that 581,000 workers sustained a non-fatal injury according to self-reports from the Labour Force Survey. 69,208 were submitted as RIDDOR (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations) reports.

The most common workplace injuries throughout 2018/2019 as reported by the HSE are:

• Slips, trips or falls on same level – 29%
• Handling, lifting or carrying – 20%
• Struck by moving object – 10%
• Acts of violence – 8%
• Falls from a height – 8%

When is RIDDOR report required?

Not all workplace injuries require a RIDDOR report. For example, if the injury is minor or doesn’t fall within the specified injuries of RIDDOR 2013. Injuries which do require a RIDDOR report include amputations, crush injuries, serious burns, loss of consciousness caused by a head injury, and loss or reduction of sight. You can view the full list of specified injuries here.

Accidents that result in the employee being off work for more than seven consecutive days also need to be reported. And naturally, all deaths in the workplace (with the exception of suicide), require a RIDDOR report.

Even if a full RIDDOR report is not required, most workplace accidents should be recorded in an accident book under the Social Security (Claims and Payments) Regulations 1979. It is considered best practice to record all accidents, however small, to spot trends and stop incidents reoccurring in the future.

What happens if you don’t report a specified incident?

As an employer, you are legally required to record certain workplace incidents, either in an accident book or through a RIDDOR report. Failure to do so is a criminal offence and could result in prosecution and a hefty fine.

From an insurance point of view, it makes sense to advise your insurers of a RIDDOR incident. If an employee suffers an injury in the workplace and they feel you are responsible, they could claim compensation from your business. This will be directed to your Employers’ Liability Insurance and often a claim will not be made until months after the incident, so do notify your insurers as soon as possible while everything is still fresh in everyone’s mind.

And of course, not only is Employers’ Liability insurance relevant here, but Group Personal Accident insurance can also provide your business with important protection.

If you would like to know more, please get in touch either by calling 01235 868535 or emailing [email protected]

Leave a Reply