Planning on Driving Abroad?

If you are planning to travel in Europe after the 31st December 2020, make sure you have the right driving documents in place before you go. GOV.UK is now recommending that ALL drivers who need to drive abroad after this date will need a Green Card and GB sticker.  You are also likely to need an International Driving Permit which can be obtained from The Post Office.  IDPs vary depending on which country you are visiting.

What is the Green Card and why do I need it?

The Green Card is an internationally accepted document that proves you have the minimum legal motor insurance cover to drive your car outside the UK.  In the event of a ‘no deal’ Brexit, a Green Card will be required for all vehicles which travel to the EU, EEA, Switzerland, Serbia and Andorra. It will be illegal for UK motorists to drive in these countries without it – whether travelling for business or pleasure.  The level of cover you hold under your policy is irrelevant and a Green Card will still required even if your policy contains a Foreign Use extension.

If you have a Fleet policy, a Green Card will be required for each vehicle you intend to use abroad.

Can I drive a trailer?

If you are towing a trailer or a caravan, you will need two Green Cards.  One for the towing vehicle and one for the trailer/caravan.  Commercial trailers over 750kg and all trailers over 3,500kg must be registered under the Haulage Permits and Trailer Registration Act 2018 before towing them abroad.

How Do I Get a Green Card?

You need to obtain this from your insurer or insurance broker.   It is important to remember that you must take the actual paper document with you.  In the event of an electronic version being issued, you must still print the document and take that with you.   Fortunately, the rules have changed and the document can at least be printed on white paper and not green.

The process for obtaining a Green Card will vary depending on the insurer so it is important to check with your insurer or insurance broker to find out what you need to do.