Hashing – The Didcot Hash House Harriers Way

As a member of the Didcot Hash House Harriers, or Didcot H3 as it’s affectionally known, I’ve got to meet many lovely people over the past couple of years.

It’s all about getting exercise, either through walking or running, whatever your age or fitness level. It’s fun. You go at your own pace, bring the kids if you want, and enjoy the time in the great outdoors. Plus, it’s non-competitive!

Hashing is a great way to make new friends as well as discover new areas, paths and trails. And pubs! We usually start from and end in a pub – following a trail of flour in between.

Endure 24

Recently, a team of eight of us Harriers – team name Hashletes – entered Endure 24. Described as ‘Glastonbury for Runners’, it’s a 24-hour relay race at Wasing Park. So out came my head torch again.

Endure 24 is a five-mile course with some nasty hills. The first one is only a few hundred metres from the start, nick-named ‘The Hill of No Return’! Then ‘Heartbreak Hill’ awaits at about the 5k mark – everybody walks up this one, unless you are one of the elite athletes.

My laps were at 5.50pm, 12.45am and 8.40am. As a team, we managed 27 laps in the 24-hour period. The winner of the event, a solo runner, also ran 27 laps! That’s 135 miles – mind blowing!  The commitment and stamina required to do that is incredible. Recently, I listened to a podcast with Eddie Izzard who ran 27 marathons in 27 days. He said Endurance Runners say that the whole running thing is 90% mental and the other 10% is in your head!

Longest Day Hash

One of the best hashes I’ve done was on the longest day a few weeks ago. Leaving home at 3.15am, we met at 4.20 am, ran to the top of Wittenham Clumps where we watched the sunrise.

And what a sunrise!  


To find out more about DH3 and hashing, please click here or visit their Facebook page.

Leave a Reply